To lead and manage a team of software developers, supporting them in building industry-leading products using robust architectural practices and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose.
- Able to produce high quality and standards-compliant back/front-end code (HTML5, JAVA, PHP, PYTHON, C++)
- Extensive knowledge of MySQL.
- Extensive knowledge of flat-file databases
- Extensive knowledge of Elastic
- Expert knowledge of source control systems (GIT)
As Head of Development, you will be responsible for leading a team of permanent development teams to meet the company’s goals and objectives. You will be Scrum Master for the team, able to protect, mentor and grow the development team. Creating and maintaining a professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and are fastidious and proud of delivering excellence and quality.
Responsible for the quality and technical approach taken by team members, you will ensure it conforms to the company strategy and that projects are delivered on time and within budget. This is a hands-on role where you will be expected to code and to hold the overall technical knowledge around client solutions and platforms.
With a minimum of five years of relevant experience, the Head of Development’s responsibility is to engineer application solutions that meet our clients’ needs and help shape our global product offering. You will be as comfortable attending meetings with our clients as developing and scoping work with internal teams. Your creativity and technical excellence will manifest itself in a wide range of products and services which will help us to remain clearly distinguished from our competitors.
With previous experience in line management, you will be responsible for the organisation, support and mentoring of junior members of the team. You will play a key role in structuring the development team and supplier network alongside the Management Team.
We are looking for a commercially astute Lead who understands the practicalities of resourcing and delivering a digital project well – working alongside the Client Service team to ensure work is delivered on time and to budget.
The position reports to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Education & Experience
- Scrum Master, running the full production process ensuring continuous delivery practices
- Being the Lead Architect, Developer and mentor to the development teams while doing some coding alongside them
- Innovation, using the latest technologies
- Overseeing roadmap strategy for both product and bespoke code base platform definition and implementation
- Producing accurate and detailed technical documentation, i.e. wireframes and functional specs, user manuals, user journeys
- Producing comprehensive and accurate estimates for work
- Testing work thoroughly against specifications and test plans to avoid errors and re-work
- Be able to translate complex technical concepts into easy to understand language for client and internal teams
- Be a strong leader, with a professional attitude and a lead by example work ethic
- Have the ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Be analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Be able to confidently communicate at all levels of the business
- Be reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Review periods and feedback mechanisms